Wednesday, October 22, 2008

An encounter to remember

So...there I am running around after school trying to get out of there because of papers to grade again, meetings again, and there is one of my students outside waiting for a forgotten ride. Well, I think, I can leave him there....or maybe I should wait. Yes, I should definitely wait. Together, we looked around for pictures to take while we waited. He pointed out the pumpkins and the fire hydrants for interesting ones. We looked at the ugly green fungus on the trees. Then, we just plopped down and talked. I'll tell you, there is nothing like spending time with a kid who needs the time. Without going into details, let me just say this kid has things tough and he is one we as a team are having trouble with. But just that half an hour together, and I feel so grateful for that "forgotten ride". My best pictures today were of him. I think they really capture his attitude, looking out at the future, thinking about the things of the past, acting "tough" but really just needing to get some things off his chest. I hope he realizes someday how strong and capable he truly is...and how things won't always be hard. I hope he realizes his true potential as I saw it through my lens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, HB, I don't know how you do it everyday. When I find out the circumstances some of our kids are growing up in, it just breaks my heart. There have been more than one of them that I just wanted to kidnap.

Framing Images and Memories said...

Wonderful job with the black and white photo. Great decision to take the color out. I absolutely LOVE the bookbag placed in the foreground. I think that the placement really adds drama. Wow!

trishalyn said...

Beautiful images, Jayme...and I love the b/w! I agree with Steve...the bookbag caught my eye and, in addition to identifying the subject, it adds interest to the photo. I loved your writing, too. That student is very fortunate to have you in his life.

Linda said...

Ditto to what the others said. I can't add more to it--the bw, bookbag, images, etc. You definitely made the right decision to stay with him. We never know what an impact we can have by just giving a little of ourselves to others. Another crown in heaven for you.

Blog Archive