Friday, November 7, 2008

Welcome to the Jungle

Well, another day has passed and another weekend is at the doorstep. The only time I have been remotely close to a jungle-like atmosphere was in Puerto Rico. I went there two years ago with my grandmother and visited the only rainforest on America soil. El Yunque is a beautiful, pristine forest in the mountains near Luquillo. The plants and trees are like wet, green giants slumbering against the mountainside and overlooking the white sands and turquoise shores of the island. A ranger explained to me how to get to some little known waterfalls in the heart of the forest and I set out alone (my grandmother was worried!) for an adventure. Walking through the enormous ferns, vibrant trees and plants, I felt as though I was in Jurassic Park. Everything misty, damp, and fragrant with the smell of tropical flowers and mossy earth. Suddenly, there I was, standing in front of not one, but three beautiful, untouched waterfalls. And to complete the intense peace and beauty I was feeling, it suddenly started to rain. This rain was so pure and warm, it is unlike anything I have ever felt. I felt as though heaven was washing over me. The water was so light and free from any pollutants, or at least that was the sense I had got. I stood there and let the brief shower cleanse me, listening to the plants answer the rain back. Today, I'm feeling sad, almost buried in my own "jungle" of STUFF. So I let myself drift back to that moment of peace and suddenly, I remembered that I had to water my spider plant. Here is a close-up of the spider plant after watering, a sort of reminder of that jungle experience in Puerto Rico...and a silent prayer that the other jungles would go away.

8 comments:

Framing Images and Memories said...

Beautiful words and image. I like the water drops gathered on the plant. Very pretty.

Bridget said...

wow!
beautiful photo.

Bridget said...

wow!
beautiful photo.

Bridget said...

as you can see i really liked it.
my computer skills all lacking:)

Linda said...

Guess you have a real fan in Bridget. But I love the image too.

Anonymous said...

Hang on to that, HB, cause I don't think the other jungles are going any place. We're going to have to stand in them.

trishalyn said...

Gorgeous image, Jayme! The "reward" is definitely the water droplets, which you wisely focused on. Before I even read your beautiful essay, I felt like I was in the middle of a jungle (though I've never experienced the "real" thing..."Jungle Land" in Glens Falls is the closest I've ever gotten!). Hope all your STUFF faded away. Great job!!!

Unknown said...

Very nice. Great composition.

Blog Archive