Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Another anniversary

Without realizing it, my one year anniversary at Fonda has come and gone. I remember how hard it was for me to make the decision to start working at Fonda, how much it meant to me that people wanted me to work there and how it felt like I was coming home in a sense. Now, I feel as though I never truly left:) I'm so grateful to have this position and to work with the people I do each day...and for the students, not just for their good moments, but for their bad ones too. Each tiny facet of their personalities, each victory and each tribulation... it all makes me work that much harder to help them see that life is so much more than what is contained within the walls of the classroom. I look forward to 4 more years of teaching when I will celebrate another anniversary and get to see the very first class I taught graduate from high school. I want to see my students grow up and leave this place and do great things and change the world. I've already been changed by knowing them and teaching them. And they will change other people's lives with their presence, experiences, and souls.

The skull is creeping I know, but I'm a big Hamlet fan. At the start of the year, I ask my kids why I have the skull in my classroom. Usually, I get some creative answers about it being the bones of a trouble student. But really, it is to remind my students to act. To always always take life and live it passionately. To find something they care about and fight for it. To change their own lives and the lives of others for the better.

Happy 1st anniversary Fonda. And thank you many times over.

5 comments:

Bridget said...

great picture and blog!
how lucky are your students!!!!

philmary said...

Alas poor Yorilck.I knew him well.

Framing Images and Memories said...

I love the image and sentiments. I love creepy so the skull was cool. I saw that in your room many times and thought of a photo; however, it is yours so I didn't steal it! You made a nicer image out of it than I would have. Enjoy your day off

trishalyn said...

Happy Anniversary, Jayme! GREAT photo...I love the juxtaposition of skull and books!!! This would make a great image to add text for a humorous slant. Wish I could go back to 7th grade so I could have you and Steve as teachers.

Linda said...

Jayme, I LOVE this image. Great creative imagination you have.

Blog Archive