Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wisdom

My grandfather runs a small but hearty printing business from his home using old fashioned printing presses. They are beautiful antiques that he is very talented at using. When I started thinking about the assignment as being wisdom, I immediately thought of these old presses. When printing presses were first invented, the written word suddenly became available in ways it had not been before. Wisdom, in a way, began to be distributed widely and the skill of reading became a precious one. Printing presses still churn out the written word everyday, but wisdom now comes not in what is written, but in what we choose to read and expose ourselves to. These old knobs, rollers, and printing tools remind me that wisdom is a gift that we gain as we live through experiences, by what we let into ourselves, and by what we give back of ourselves!





P/S Wisdom is also knowing when to take a well deserved break. Kitty Kit (or Jack as I secretly call him) snoozes as I shoot away:)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hey i love the pic i really like the pic of the cat jack he's so cute anyway nice job

Bridget said...

i love the pictures of the old printing presses.
my uncles and gradfathers were all printers.
seeing these old presses really brought back some memories of those noisey presses and their ink covered hands.

Framing Images and Memories said...

Very cool photos. I lived across from the Mohawk Valley Democrat as a kid, which housed similar presses. As Bridget said, it brought back memories. Your words were a great addition to the pictures.

Linda said...

Nice images. Good working of the subject and I like the compositions. Then there's the image of the cat....love it! Yeah, knowing when to relax is probably one of the wisest things we can do.

trishalyn said...

Really nice, Jayme! I would love to see those old presses. Any chance for an MVP field trip?
:-) Loved your assignment...and your interpretation of it!

philmary said...

I have to see these presses..Either call me or we have to have a field trip

842-5617

Blog Archive