Saturday, November 29, 2008

How do you take a picture of a feeling?

The world is full of artists, poets, musicians, people who paint the world through their imaginations, perceptions and feelings. But how do you take a picture of a feeling? How do you use photography to describe all that is going on inisde you? I don't know that I can answer that question just yet. Although today, I will try anyway.

I'm losing a very good friend of mine to cancer. Someone who has been stronger physically and spiritually than anyone I have known. Today, I feel like a light is leaving the world and so those of us left behind may be just a little bit in darkness. Even though we know that this light will not be leaving us forever, its leaving will make us feel dimmer, like a shade is resting on our shoulders. We know the sun will shine again. It just might take a little while before we feel that warmth on our faces once more.
In my apartment, I have a little sun room with windows all around. Outside the windows is a large tree that takes up one side of the view. My picture to today is at dusk and I'm zooming in and out while using a f20 aperature setting. This is a picture of what I'm feeling: it's dark, there are shadows and mist, but there is also light trying to filter through. That is the best I can do.

2 comments:

trishalyn said...

I feel your pain, Jayme, and I'm so very sorry. I think you expressed yourself quite well through your photography and through your writing. Your friend is fortunate to have someone who cares so deeply. I hope it helps to know that others care. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend.

Bridget said...

i am very sorry for your loss jayme.
may she rest in peace.

Blog Archive