Sunday, September 27, 2009

The end of the road

First, I'd like to say that there is an unspoken pressure on me to make this last posting full of the most amazing pictures ever. Of course, that is a self pressure and I'm going to start by saying these are far from my best. But since I love abstracts, here goes.
Unveiling my sight:
This journey started as a challenge between friends, a challenge to grow and learn and complete 365 days of seeing the world anew. It was a way to expose us to the wide open universe of the ordinary and the extraordinary. And it was a way for us to expose ourselves as real artists, eccentric visionaries, and deviant risk takers. It worked. While sometimes frustrating, the challenge caused me to see that not only can I take a good picture, I can reach people with my photography on an emotional level. I feel confident in my abilities to see things differently and I know that I can capture a moment, memory or mistake in a totally unique way that is all my own. Exposing that unique way was probably the most difficult part, but it has helped me see my growth and potential.

Opening or closing the door?
We don't really recognize the importance of the journey until the end. Am I closing the door on this challenge? Yes...but I'm also opening the door to something new or to the next stage, whatever that may be. The tendons of my wrist are taunt with both worry and excitement as to what that stage will be. And the light just beyond the door assures me that my hard work in this challenge was not for nothing.

A hole left behind.
Sometimes, when we leave something behind, an emptiness becomes apparent in our lives. I am sure that not seeking out a new photo everyday will be strange and feel wrong. But I'm just as sure that the next stage of my photography will build me up until that hole is filled with new learning and acheivements and a sense of purpose. Emerson said, "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us". Journeys of the past and future will fade in time, but what we are deep down inside will never fade away. If anything, I've tried to make my "deep down inside" have a place in all my photos, so that someday maybe my great grandchildren can look back and understand what kind of person I was, what was important to me, why I fought for what I loved.

So I am officially signing off from this challenge. I may still post from time to time, but this journey is complete. I now take my first steps toward that which awaits me, a mystery and a blessing and a chance to use all that I have learned for good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for a great year....it's been a delight to look at your work all year long, it really has,

i thought it was fun and all i was, was an onlooker...i had the easy part!....;)

again thanks!

trishalyn said...

I'VE GOT GOOSEBUMPS! An emotional ending...or is it a beginning? :-)

Beautiful images...TERRIFIC "end of the road" sign-off. Congratulations on successfully completing this 365-day-challenge...I'm proud of you!!!! :-)

P.S. I hope you post at least once or twice per week...I'm going to miss THE PHOENIX DREAMER!

Linda said...

Great creative images to go with the creative "farewell" note. Nice job today and for the past 365 days.

philmary said...

Like always you come up with an evocative post >>Your sign off writing with Emerson when looking at your eye behind the fingers is very haunting .I have seen so ,many eyes and faces, but I will remember yours

Framing Images and Memories said...

Very provactive writing and images. You have done such a fantastic, consistent, daily job of posting images and stories. Thank you so much for opening up and sharing your life with all of us.

Bridget said...

thanks for all the beautiful images and the moving writing that
accompanied them.
i have enjoyed your journey and getting to know you better.
the first image of todays posting is one of your best!!!!!!!

Blog Archive